An entrepreneur on a journey of discovery

Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Numbers - aaargh!

This morning I played golf with some friends of mine. They are business partners in a very successful company and most of the on-course talk was about their recent mergers and share deals. Some big numbers were thrown around, but for the most part I didn't understand a damn thing!

I'm a business owner. In fact I own a number of businesses, all of which are successful, but what they were talking about was daunting. Why didn't I understand any of it? Am I missing something?

Later on in the round, when I was a number of shots ahead of everyone it dawned on me. I didn't understand them because I chose a long time ago not to try and understand it. If the time comes, I will hire someone who knows that stuff and they can worry about it. I became flush with pride because I knew that I had chosen to do what I love (crazy-idea start-ups), I had chosen to lead those companies with passion and vision, and I would leave the mind-numbing rubbish to the people like my golfing buddies.

It was a concious choice from years ago that I would leave time in my life for things like golf, which is why I was able to beat them. While they spent their lives crunching numbers, working out interest and exchange rates, and calculating stock depreciation, I was doing what I wanted to do.

Some of the best business owners don't have a clue about the finer details of accounting etc, but they do understand their business goals, their staff, and most importantly their customers. Let the CA's handle the maths - as long as you worry about your customers, the CA's will always have money to count.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well said Robinson!! Talent is a strange thing, some have it between their ears and others have it in their swing. You are obviously a great golfer being that many shots ahead of your golfing partners (who are all superb golfers in their own right I am sure) but the fact that you made a decision not to understand financial fundamentals impacting on your business means one of two things, either you are not able to grasp those concepts or you are destined for greatness (already on your way with your multitude of successful businesses). Great people recognise their shortcomings, be it chosen or not, and surround themselves by people who complement them. It seems your buddies fill the void in your understanding of financial fundamentals. Well done!!

Your mate

Friday

8:36 AM

 
Blogger Crusoe said...

My friends are awesome at what they do, and their business is amazing. They have grown it incredibly over the last few years and I think that is the part that is daunting to me.

I obviously skipped too many classes in favour of the golf course when I was younger but I don't regret that.

And yes, not only are they good golfers as well, but they are very close friends!

10:25 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home