An entrepreneur on a journey of discovery

Monday, October 30, 2006

Executive coaching

Today I met with an interesting gent who talked to me about the concepts of executive coaching. Coming to a definition of executive coaching is not that easy and he left it quite open to my own personal interpretation. It isn't a business seminar, it isn't clinical psychology, and it isn't a dummies guide to living the high life. My best effort would be to describe it as assisted self realisation. I love that that is a contradiction!

Many corporate business people, CEO's, and entrepreneurs (like myself) get incredibly wrapped up in work and actually become mentally bound to the office. We lose sight of what we truely want and begin to believe that what we want is same as what the company wants. As a business owner it is crucial that I succeed as a whole person and not just a business person. If I fail my family, my friends, and myself in order to make the company a success then I will die a lonely unhappy person - and the company will likely fail as well.

So executive coaching is assisted self realisation. A trained coach will help me find myself, identify my core values, and help me to become a whole person. The side effects of this will be that I am able to focus more clearly on my business and create balance.

I really had fun today meeting the coach and I plan on exploring more with him in future. I've only taken one of many steps to come, and already I feel empowered. Here's to finding out more about coaching, what it is that I really want, and going after it with passion!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home