An entrepreneur on a journey of discovery

Monday, October 09, 2006

Media 24 up for Sale

So I noticed last night while watching TV that Media24 are selling a certain percentage of their shares to the public. The advert, which jumps from person person, all saying that they own Media24, states that only black South Africans are eligable to buy these shares.

As a white South African, I was rather upset by how blatantly whites were excluded from the offer. Do these companies not realise how racist they are being? While I fully support transformation in South Africa, and constantly seek ways for me to do more, I am adamantly opposed to racism. What would happen if a company ran television adverts stating that a special offer was only applicable to white South Africans?

Futher, the advert showed a number of coloured people. Does this mean that coloured people are allowed to by shares as well as black people? What about Indians? I didn't see any Indians in the advert so are they being excluded the same as whites?

As much I felt the need to have a bitch about this, I have no idea where the line is drawn. Maybe it is a good thing that a company like Media24 is so bold because they are simply saying what other companies have been doing but keeping quiet. Maybe I have been naieve all along, and it took a television advert to make me realise that BEE is straight-up racism!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home