An entrepreneur on a journey of discovery

Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Creativity from the masses

I'm not generally classified as a creative person (although I'm left handed), but I do have my moments every now and then. My irritation is that they mostly go to waste. If I think of a cool advert idea for BMW or a funky event idea for Addidas there is nothing I can do except forget the idea.

Instead of creativity for the masses, how about creativity from the masses?

I wonder how receptive companies would be to people sending through their creative ideas/concepts. Some may be happy but I don't know any that would know how to handle such input. And where do we send them?

Now if there was a portal where anyone could load an idea for a company within a specific category my bet is it would be used a lot. The companies can subscribe and get notified of new ideas pertaining to them and if they like and implement the idea then they can give a small cut to the creative originator.

My next venture? Who knows! :)

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mmmm. My initial reaction is that there will be ALOT of crap ideas. Anytime a certain group are special, it's because they are rare. Same goes for creative people. And if you allow a mechanism for them to get paid, you've just opened the floodgates to a river of crap ideas.

Then again, I'm known for being overtly negative :P.

12:27 PM

 
Blogger Crusoe said...

Of course there will be a lot of crap, but that's OK. The difference between a creative person who gets paid for it, and a 'normal' person is that the creative person is creative more often.

However, normal people do still have great ideas - and there should be a place for them to air them.

2:21 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey there, I friend of mine aproached a mobile company about pitching an idea and the company actualy said "sure, send us a full proposal". But she is one of the laziest people around and never bothered.

Seriously if you get a great idea, find out who does the marketing and give them a call.

3:19 PM

 
Blogger Crusoe said...

That's very cool to hear - you should kick her butt and make her send it through. That could be the first step towards an awesome career!

4:01 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The only problem with submitting ideas like that is the intellectual property rights. Who would own them? The company could take that great idea and call it their own and you would get no recognition for the idea. We charge our clients a lot of money for the intellectual rights to a marketing idea/concept.

10:49 PM

 
Blogger Crusoe said...

Justin, that's why I suggested a formal portal for submitting the ideas. But making it a more formal process will enable the individual person to be paid for their IP.

If you simply submit your idea straight to the company then you could lose it, but through a portal helps to ensure you don't.

4:42 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home