An entrepreneur on a journey of discovery

Monday, March 12, 2007

Association of brands


There is a special place in my vocabulary for people who park (drive) with no consideration for others, and I know I'm not the only person who feels this way. Although this car isn't branded, it amazes me how many branded cars we see on the roads that are being driven shockingly. The drivers obviously don't care that they represent a company and that the people they upset in traffic could very well be customers. What would happen if the brand managers knew how all their hard work was being undone by the company's driver? Next time it happens I think I'm going to phone and find out. I urge you to do the same.

A similar situation occurs with South Africa's infamous taxi's. Why would a marketing person want or allow their branding to be splayed all over a taxi? This is a vehicle with a driver that knowingly, and without care, breaks the law on a regular basis, and has little or no respect for other citizens or life in general.

When I see a company's brand on a taxi my emotional state is definitely not one of love. It isn't wise for any company wanting me as a customer to try and push their branding into my mind at the exact time that I'm screaming and cursing with blood pressure through the roof. Association is a massive component of branding, hence sports stars being paid millions for endorsements - associating their skills and popularity to a specific brand. The emotions that ordinary citizens display towards badly driven taxi's are definitely not the ones you would want to have associated with your brand.

A special thanks to our very own Peas on Toast whose parking (as shown above) inspired this post. Peas, the parking is impressive, but at least your VW Beetle isn't branded with the name of your new business venture :)

7 Comments:

Blogger Peas on Toast said...

Dude, this is brilliant - mainly because
1) YOu could've been really rude about my parking skills/and or women in general and you weren't
2) You linked it to marketing - cunning
3) You made me piss myself.

Sometimes one has to park like a vagina when people surrunding park like penises. :)

4:16 PM

 
Blogger Crusoe said...

It's just a pity that everyone else drove off and left you looking like the villain.

Or maybe you were just one of those kids that didn't like to colour between the lines. That is a character trait that will serve you well in your new venture! :)

5:07 PM

 
Blogger Revolving Credit said...

If you read todays Peas post about PMS it all makes sense.

10:44 AM

 
Blogger Crusoe said...

Crystal clear :)

11:09 AM

 
Blogger Peas on Toast said...

Ahhhhshuddup. :)
xx

2:56 PM

 
Blogger Crusoe said...

Sensitive as well :)

4:40 PM

 
Blogger Peas on Toast said...

Very, VERY sensitive.
There's a nuke ready to explode between my cranial hempispheres.

9:09 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home